John Young Middle School
John Young Middle School is dedicated to the continuous improvement of our students’ educational, physical, and social development.
Back to School Information
Information will be shared in this section about school supplies, schedule pick up and other important back to school information so you and your child(ren) are prepared for the first day of school on August 11, 2021.
- First day of school is August 11, 2021.
- Elementary School Offices will be open to the public beginning at 8:00 AM on July 21, 2021.
- Welcome Back Pack: Information all families need to be preprared for the start of the school year.
- School Supply List
- John Young Middle School Back to School Packet
- Mishawaka High School School ID & Pictures
- Mishawaka High School Calendar: Calendar of Maroon and White days for the Fall and Spring semesters.
- Free & Reduced Meals and Textbooks: These forms are required in order to received free/reduced textbooks.
- Immunizations, COVID-19 Vaccine & Sports Physicals: Make sure to view the list of required immunizations for the 2021-2022 school year and opportunities for JYMS and MHS students to receive a COVID-19 vaccine and sports physical.
- Before/After School Program: Boys & Girls Club is offering before/after care and the new STRIVE program at all of our elementary schools. New this year is the addition of the after school STRIVE Program at John Young Middle School.
- Student Devices: What you need to know to be prepared for the first day of school
- Roadmap to Recovery Plan
- Back to School Enrollment Forms: Families that are returning or new to School City of Mishawaka need to complete important documents for each child enrolled for the 2021-2022 school year. All documents must be completed by August 11, 2021.
- Job Opportunities: We have openings for support staff positions such as Program Assistants, food service, custodians, and substitutes. If you or someone you know is interested in joining the SCM team, visit the Employment section for more information and to apply online today.
- First day of school is August 11, 2021.
JYMS News & Information
An important message from Mr. Fisher, JYMS Principal:
July 27, 2021
Dear Jaguar Community,
Greetings!! I am Mr. Mike Fisher, your principal at John Young Middle School. I am pleased to be joined by Ashley Litwin, Brandon Trtan, and Sean Steinkellner to make up the JYMS administrative team. Miss Litwin will serve as our 8th grade assistant principal, as well as athletic director for JYMS. Mr. Trtan will focus on attendance and student academic growth. We are very excited to have Mr. Steinkellner as our 7th grade assistant principal. Together our administration team brings a wealth of experience from both the elementary and high school levels which will help bridge the gap for our students during their middle school years. We are thrilled to start the new school year at JYMS and look forward to working with students, staff, parents, and community members to help all Jaguars become successful lifelong learners.
Next week is our schedule pick-up and walk-through on August 4th and 5th. This is a great opportunity for students to get familiar with the building, practice their locker combination, and 7th graders along with new 8th graders can pick up their devices. Please take advantage and bring your student next week!
- August 2 - Sports Physicals 4-8 p.m. ($25 Cash Only)
- August 3 Fall Sports Begin (Must have physical in order to participate)
- August 4th - JYMS 7th Grade Schedule Pick-Up Walk-through 2- 6 p.m. (Get New Student Device and Locker)
- August 5 - JYMS 8th Grade Schedule Pick-Up Walk-through 2- 6 p.m. (Get Locker)
- August 5 - Immunization Clinic 9-11:30 a.m. Parents can sign up with this link.
- August 11 - First Student Day
- August 16 - Meet and Greet Open House 6-7:15 p.m. (Come and Meet Your Student’s Teachers)
We are excited to team up with the Boys and Girls Club for the new STRIVE after school program. More information can be found at this link: Boys and Girls Club Strive.
Other Important Links:
Looking Forward to Having Students Back Soon!
JYMS Honors Program
The JYMS Honors Program is designed to offer academic challenges beyond those required by the Indiana Academic Standards to highly capable seventh and eighth grade students. These courses will ask students to learn and understand the grade level standards, as well as use their reading, writing, and speaking skills to demonstrate a higher level of goal attainment. If accepted into any honors class, you are accepting these responsibilities and the expectations.
Click the Honors Program icon below to fill out the application. Completing this application does not guarantee acceptance or enrollment. The JYMS Honors Program Identification Committee will review the application and additional assessments to determine if your student is accepted in the program.