Before/After School Programming
BEFORE/AFTER SCHOOL PROGRAMMING
We are excited to be partnering with Boys & Girls Club to offer Before/After School Programming and the Strive Program at all of our SCM elementary schools. We will continue to offer the after school STRIVE Program at John Young Middle School this year. Space is limited so make sure to sign up early.
- What is STRIVE?
- The STRIVE After School Program launched fall 2021 with a focus on academic enrichment (in addition to the typical fun Club activities) to combat pandemic learning loss for the students who need it most.
- One-to-one and small group tutoring in key areas: Math, Literacy, Social & Emotional Learning, College & Workforce Readiness.
- STRIVE is a FREE program offered after school Monday - Friday.
- Curriculum in partnership with: Robinson Community Learning Center, Riverbend Math, RISE Entrepreneurship, LOGAN, Oaklawn Partnership for Children, and others.
- Will STRIVE be a lot different for my child?
Not really. This will still be the fun, high-energy, positive, and hands-on environment you know to expect from Club! While we are doubling down on key academic areas, our kids are still going to be painting, exercising, playing dodgeball, dancing, performing, playing outside, exploring new interests, and connecting with their peers.
- What are the attendance requirements?
The purpose of the STRIVE program is to provide enhanced one-to-one and small group tutoring integrated with our traditional Club programs. The goal is to help students improve one grade level in both reading and math. To do so, we will work with each school and continually measure outcomes through the school year. To reach this goal, students must attend STRIVE at least 80% of the time, or on average 4-5 days a week for the full duration of the program.
- Will the Club still offer before-care?
Yes, before-care will be offered at SCM elementary schools, as in previous years, at the rate of $35 per week. Before-care will begin at 6:45 AM.
- Will the Club still offer after-care?
We would like to strongly encourage all students to participate in the STRIVE Program. However, for families who cannot commit to the attendance requirements, we will offer after-care services as in previous years, at the rate of $35 per week. The rate for both before and after-care services will be $55 per week.
- STRIVE Elementary After School Program: 3:00 PM - 6:00 PM
- STRIVE JYMS After School Program: 4:00 PM - 6:30 PM
- When will the fall program start?
The fall program begins on August 17, 2022.
- How do I register my child?
You can register your child through the bgcsjc.org website.
For more information call 574-232-2048 or go to bgcsjc.org and click on “2022-2023 School Year Programs.”
- What is STRIVE?