Honors Programs - Middle School
The JYMS Honors Program is designed to offer academic challenges beyond those required by the Indiana Academic Standards to highly capable seventh and eighth grade students. These courses will ask students to learn and understand the grade level standards, as well as use their reading, writing, and speaking skills to demonstrate a higher level of goal attainment. If accepted into any honors class, you are accepting these responsibilities and the expectations.
In order to be considered for the program, the student or parent/guardian need to fill out the application at mishawakaschools.com/honors. If you do not have access to the Internet or a device but are interested in applying, please call 574-254-4521. Completing this application does not guarantee acceptance or enrollment. The JYMS Honors Program Identification Committee will review the application and additional assessments to determine if your student is accepted in the program.
Expectations and Responsibilities of JYMS Honors Students
- Reading: Complex text will be used in classes that will be above grade level. An Honors Student needs to be ready to be challenged as a reader and a critical and creative thinker.
- Writing: Writing is thinking. Expect to frequently communicate your thinking and learning. A student in Honors Classes needs to be ready to communicate his/her thinking and learning capably, often exceeding the expectation for the grade level.
- Speaking: Speaking in front of a variety of audiences to communicate what you are learning is common practice for Honors Students.
- Collaboration: An Honors Student will think, learn, and work with other students. Students must be prepared to support their own learning and that of their peers.
- GRIT: Honors Students will be challenged as thinkers and learners. A student in Honors Classes needs to be a self-starter and have the grit to persevere when challenged.
- Project Based Learning: Students should be prepared to complete Research Based Projects using both class time and time outside of the classroom.
- Growth Mindset: Students should understand that failure is a learning opportunity and no matter what their level, learning can be achieved.
This program is not for every student, all JYMS students will have the ability to grow and enjoy a wide range of academic opportunities offered throughout the school year. If you are interested in applying for this programming, fill out the application at mishawakaschools.com/honors by May 20, 2020. If you do not have access to the Internet or a device but are interested in applying, please call 574-254-4521.