- School City of Mishawaka
Return to Headlines
Mask Mandate Changes, Summer Feeding Program and Fall 2021
Highlights of information shared with SCM families on June 1, 2021 are:
- During the School Board meeting on Wednesday, May 26, 2021, you may have heard that masks would become optional beginning June 1 for all students and staff while on SCM properties, pending any change in guidance from local, state, and/or federal agencies. However, on Friday, May 28, 2021, Governor Holcomb expanded the mask mandate for K-12 schools through June 30, 2021. This means all students and staff will continue wearing masks as has been the practice since the start of the 2020-2021 school year. This mask mandate extension will also impact students and staff participating in summer school but does allow for masks to be removed when outdoors, even while on school properties, regardless of vaccination eligibility or status.
- While our goal has always been to maintain six feet of physical distance, most classrooms adhered to the minimum requirement of three feet while facing the same direction to which we will continue to the greatest extent possible. We will also keep the plexiglass already installed in high-traffic areas throughout the Administration Center and in our school buildings, including cafeterias.
- We encourage all students, staff, and families to be mindful of how they are feeling, if they are experiencing symptoms common with COVID-19, and the expectation of increased hand washing. SCM will continue offering in-house testing to any staff member who is working over the summer and meets the established eligibility criteria.
- School City of Mishawaka will begin the 2021-2022 school year with five days of in-person learning for all students, K-12. Mishawaka High School will also continue to offer a virtual option to eligible students as well.
- We are happy to offer the Summer Feeding Program again this year. FREE meals will be provided to children 18 and under at Beiger Elementary School, John Young Middle School and Mary Gibbard Park June 7-July 30, 2021.