The following information is to help answer your questions about school immunization requirements. Click the questions below to find out more information:
Requirements and Compliance
- Are there any new required immunizations for the 2016-2017 school year?
- Are there any recommended immunizations that are not required for school entry for the 2016-2017 school year?
- Are immunizations required fro all children enrolled in school?
- What information must be included on the physician's statement to document immunization?
- What is considered adequate documentation of an immunization history?
- What is "laboratory evidence of immunity"?
- Who should interpret lab results for evidence of immunity?
- Is lab evidence of immunity acceptable for ALL school required immunizations?
- What is the four-day grace period and when can it be used?
- What is the minimum age for MMR vaccine to be counted as a valid dose?
- When are 4 doses of Polio vaccine required?
- What are the minimum intervals for Hepatitis B vaccine?
- If there is an extended interval between doses of Hepatitis B, does the student need to start the series over?
- May a chiropractor give a medical exemption for vaccination?
- What must a medical exemption contain?
- What must a religios objection contain?
- If a student received a dose of vaccine before the recommended minimum interval or age, can I accept a physician note stating there is no need to repeat the dose as a medical exemption?
- Is there a philosophical objection allowed in Indiana?
- If a child does not present an immunization record or is not up to date with his/her immunizations, may he/she enroll in school?
- If a child received one dose of MCV4 vaccine at age 10 or older and another dose at age less than 16, will they still need a booster dose at age 16?
- If a child received one does of Varicela vaccine and then subsequently has chickenpox, is a second dose of Varicella vaccine needed?
- Is a doctor's statement required as proof of chickenpox disease?
- I have a foreign exchange student at my school who received single antigen measels, mumps and rubella vaccinations. How do I know if they meet school entry requirements?
- I have a child who will be only 10 when he/she enters 6th grade. Should he/she receive the MCV4 and Tdap before 6th grade like the other students, or wait until he/she is 11?
- Does ISDH deterine if a child is exlcluded from school for incomplete immunizations?
- What immunization education materials must be provided to the parents of enrolled students?
- Are schools required to collect the response form included with the Human Papillimavirus (HPV) infection education materials?
CHIRP and Reporting
- Who can request access to use CHIRP?
- How do I request access to a new school in CHIRP?
- How do I submit my report using CHIRP?
- What is the deadline for schools to enter their data into CHIRP?
- How can my school submit student records electronically to CHRIP?
- Should schools enter vaccine records for doses in CHIRP for the vaccines that are not required for school entry?
- Which grade levels does ISDH include in the annual report from CHIRP?
- If a child has an exemption on file, may he/she be counted as complete?
- Do schools need to report immunization data for all 6th grade immunizations?
- When does the CHIRP automatic roll-up occur?
- How can I best track students who are out of compliance?
- If a student received a meningococcal vaccine noted from an electronic medical record, how do I know if they meet school requirements, and how do I document this in CHIRP?
- Why do my 3rd grade students show a missing hepatitis A vaccine in the forecast? It's not required for their grade-level.
- I don't know the CHIRP codes and am unsure of how to enter records into CHIRP.
- CHIRP vaccine code cheat sheet